Lead paint is safe. Lead dust is not. Lead paint causes lead dust when it chips, peels and flakes. The chipped paint then turns to dust on the floor. When kids play on the floor, they touch the floor and then put their hands in their mouths. The ingestion often happens without the parents realizing.
Lead paint dust is a potential health threat for kids ages 0-6 and pregnant women.
If you are concerned about lead paint poisoning in your home, here are our top recommendations to minimize the risk:
If you have any concerns about the health of your children, please have them tested for lead blood levels and contact an accredited lead paint risk assessor, so that your potential hazards can be evaluated.
- refer to www.epa.gov/lead How to reduce the risk of lead poisoning